Skip Navigation Links > Owners > Ownership

It is unusual for the ownership record of a boat this age to be so complete. Thanks to Tessa Hodgkinson (nee Mackenzie) for the research.

1898 Built by A. M. Dickie of Tarbert for William James Yorke Scarlett the Laird of Gigha, and named ‘Belem’ after the French three masted barque which was famous for its speed. Used principally as a ferry to and from the mainland; she was probably open. Her design is quite advanced for the time with her three-quarter length keel and cutaway stem.

1918 Sold to Alexander Naismith of Pollockshields; was renamed ‘Witch’, converted to a yacht and had her first engine fitted - a Kelvin petrol / paraffin engine.

1922 Sold to James M. Alexander in June. New sails supplied by Crawford Black, the Greenock tent maker, who became a part owner in December.

1934 Crawford Black buys out the remaining half share from James Alexander. See the menu link for photos from the 1930s in Scotland.

1956 Sold to Bill Morrison. New Morris Navigator engine, winches and guard rails fitted.

1963 Sold to Glen Hargrave who brought her to London, and made radical alterations to the accommodation and to the cockpit with a view to competing in a single-handed trans-Atlantic race.

1965 Sold to Bruce Mackenzie. Kept first at Gravesend Sailing Club, then at Walton-on-Naze. Petrol/paraffin engine replaced with a 2 cylinder Sabb diesel.

2006 Sold to Alistair Randall, Bruce Mackenzie's nephew. Continues to be kept at Walton-on-Naze.
web design and hosting by ODtaa